Getting Married – How to Get Permanent Residence for a Citizen of Mexico


Love is unexpected and can happen in any location. If you are on vacation in Mexico and fall in love, then the next step is getting married. When your spouse is a citizen of another country, you have to go through several steps for this to happen. Read on to find out how to get permanent residence for a citizen of Mexico.

Hire a Lawyer

A marriage to a U.S. citizen gives a person of another country a direct path to U.S. immigration. However, you do not receive an automatic green card or citizenship. You have to go through an application process. It could really speed up the process to hire a Spanish speaking attorney Houston firm.

Decide on the Location of the Marriage

You have to decide on where to get married when your fiancé is still living in Mexico. If you want to get married in the U.S. then you can petition for your fiancé to enter the U.S. to get married. After getting married in the U.S., your spouse can apply for a green card.

You also have the option of getting married in Mexico. After the marriage, you can apply for an immigrant visa. An immigrant visa is similar to a green card. It allows a citizen of another country to enter the United States.

Apply for a Green Card

Marriage is one of the ways to get a green card. You have to submit an application and supporting documents. The U.S. immigration authorities will also request an interview. The purpose of the interview is to prove marriage status, to make sure the marriage is real and to make sure the immigrant is not inadmissible. Certain things can make it hard for an immigrant to get citizenship. These things may include medical, financial and criminal reasons. However, it can take six months are longer to complete the application process.

Marriage is a sacred union. You must be serious about taking this step in a relationship. If you plan to get married in Mexico, then you must make sure the marriage is recognized by the United States.